Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Put Jimmer In!

I am not a sports fan. The two sports I did in high school (cross-country and track) aren’t really spectator sports. My husband doesn’t ever watch sports and probably doesn’t know the difference between a touchdown and a grand slam. Basically watching or following sports are not a significant part of my life, at all.

There are two exceptions to this, the Olympics and BYU sports. I love watching the Olympics and I kind of follow BYU sports. I am a BYU alum so of course I always want them to win. My Dad is a huge BYU sports fan. If you want to know about the latest game or what the pros and cons are to BYU football going independent just ask him.

This year my Dad decided to drive down to watch the BYU-Utah football game. Drive down from Washington. The night before the game. He was in Provo for less than 12 hours. I think that shows the level of his commitment to BYU sports.

He had gotten tickets for my sister and I to go with him to go to the game. Going to a BYU football game with a huge BYU sports fan is like watching a movie with someone laughs and makes jokes in a all the rights spots, it makes it a lot more fun. I had been looking forward to going to the game with my dad for a few weeks.

So Saturday morning I put on my BYU shirt and get ready for the game. My dad and sister show up and we head over to the stadium.IMG_1895

We were totally pumped. The BYU-Utah game is almost always a close game. BYU had the advantage of being at home and we were sure they were going to win. Darcy and I thought we would be funny and make a sign that said “Put Jimmer In!” to wave around just in case they got a point behind.

IMG_1899

I’m sure glad we made the sign because it got a lot a laughs as we held it up while BYU was being hammered.

IMG_1911

When there was about 8 minutes left and BYU was behind 10 to 40 my dad turned to me and said he couldn’t take it anymore, it hurt to much. So we left. The final score was BYU 10 Utah 54. They probably would have played better if they put Jimmer in.

I think I am glad I’m not an intense sports fan. It hurts much when your team looses.

3 comments:

  1. Who is Jimmer, and why did he need to go in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmer was BYU's basketball star. This past season was his senior year and BYU got into the sweet 16 for the first time in about 30 years. I think he is going to play for the California Suns now. If you search for Jimmer on youtube there are a bunch of videos about him.

    We thought it would be funny to hold up a put Jimmer in sign if BYU got a little behind. They played so bad though that they might have done better if Jimmer was playing. Dad is a big Jimmer fan and could tell you all about him.
    -Katie-Beth

    ReplyDelete