Monday, September 12, 2011

I am Katie-Beth

 

Occasionally I meet new people and have the typical introductory conversation. I  like to talk to new people, the conversation usually goes something like this. Of course I generally ask the same questions to “new person” but their answers aren’t important right now.

new person: Where are you from?

me: I grew up in Washington state.

new person: What brought you to Utah?

me: I came to go to school at BYU and ended marrying a Utah boy.

new person: What did you study at BYU?

me: Family History and Genealogy

new person: I didn’t know that was a major. Do you work?

me: nope I am a stay and home mom, and I love it.

new person: That’s great. What do you like to do, what are your hobbies?

 

This is where I get stuck. I do have hobbies, and I like to do a wide variety of things. But I always end up saying the same thing.

me: I love to read, spend time with my kids and husband, and do things outside. Really, I am much more unique and exciting than I sound.

new person: That’s nice.

I may or may go on to get this person better and they might realize there is much more to me than a love of reading and my family. But lately I have felt like their aren’t very many people who really know me. Who know why I am an interesting person. What makes me happy and why I would be an awesome person to be friends with.

When I was a teenager I had no problem putting myself out their and meeting new people. I was good at drawing out shy people and befriending the loner. I was always busy, doing new things and loving life. Now I spend most of my time at home, with my kids and husband. I am still always busy and I love my life but I don’t want to be defined by just my role as a wife and mother.

This blog is to show (myself) who I am. What I love to do, what I am good at, what I actually accomplish in a day.  It’s to show that I have hobbies other than reading and that I am more than just a mom to four amazing kids. While my family is without a doubt the most important part of my life and I’m sure will show up in this blog they are not all that defines me. I am woman. I am a wife. I am a mother. I am Katie-Beth.

me

4 comments:

  1. You should buy a sword and repeat the last for sentences of this post in from a the tallest mountain in the world and see if you are granted any supernatural powers.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. *in front of the tallest mountain.

    Also I am looking forward to following your blog.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound kind of cheesy doesn't it. Although I wouldn't mind having some super powers.
    -kb

    ReplyDelete