Friday, September 16, 2011

Curry

Growing up there were three dinners that my Dad would cook. BBQ, fish sticks and Rice-a-Roni and Japanese style curry. When he made curry it was always on Sunday and it was always a big production. He would spend at least an hour chopping up veggies, when we were old enough he would let us do it. But not before he had given us a lecture on the proper way to cut a carrot, or celery or whatever veggie he had you cut. He would use a blend of medium and hot curry.

I remember always hanging around for when he added the curry to the veggies and water. I love how you could slice the curry like a big block of chocolate. The curry would slowly dissolve and turn the water into a thick sauce. You knew it was ready when you could smell it all throughout the house.

Dinner was always pretty quiet on the nights we had curry. Everyone was busy enjoying their curry and trying to eat fast enough to get seconds.

We always looked forward to the Sundays that Dad made curry.

jcurry

Shortly after Michael and I got married and decided to make him curry. He loved it and I learned something about making curry. It is really easy. Because of the big production Dad always turned it into I had always thought it was hard. But basically you just cook some chicken. Boil some chopped veggies, add the curry, mix it together and pour it over rice. I guess when your dinner repertoire only includes three things you have to make them look more difficult than they are.

Yesterday was one of my best friends birthday and I took her out to lunch. I got someone to watch my kids which meant we didn’t have to go to a restaurant with a play place attached.  My friend chose to eat at Thai Mango and Thursday’s special happened to be Massaman curry. As I was eating my lunch it reaffirmed my love for curry. Japanese, Indian or Thai, any type of curry is delicious. Mmmmmm curry. Go eat some for dinner tonight.

massaman

No comments:

Post a Comment