Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Roca

We made a lot of treats at Christmas time in the Creviston household. Fudge, sugar cookies, molasses cookies, soft toffee, cheese ball, chex mix and others. I love them all but my favorite is roca. I’m not sure when we started making it, but it is sooooo good.

It has become the treat we give to our friends at Christmas. It is easy to make and I have never met someone who doesn’t like it. I decided I should share the goodness and post the recipe. The only problem was the recipe that my mom gave me goes like this.

1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup butter, chocolate chips, saltines.

Yeah, Creviston’s aren’t real big on recipes. So I took pictures while I made it yesterday and paid attention to how much of what I used. Here is a more useful version of the recipe

Roca

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup butter

Saltine crackers (enough to line a 9 by 13 pan about half a tube)

Semi sweet chocolate chips ( I used about 2/3 of a bag)

1. Pre-heat oven to 400. Line a 9 by 13 pan with tin foil. Cover the bottom of the pan with saltine crackers. I round the corners of the crackers that are in the corner of the pan so they will lay flat.

100_1228

2. Melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat in a small saucepan. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

100_1231

100_1232

3. Pour toffee mixture over crackers and stick in the oven. Bake until the crackersfloat. This takes about 3 1/2 to 5 minutes. It takes 3 1/2 in my oven. 100_1233

4. Once the crackers float take it out of the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on it. The heat from the toffee will melt the chocolate chips. Once the chocolate chips are melted spread them around to cover all the toffee.

100_1234

100_1236

5. Stick in the fridge and cool until chocolate is hard. Pull the tin foil off and break apart into pieces and store in the fridge or eat it before the chocolate gets melty again.

100_1237

I didn’t get a picture of the final product because we gave most of it away and ate the rest before I thought about taking a picture. So you will have to make it yourself to see how it turns out.

What’s your favorite Christmas treat?

1 comment:

  1. I would agree that Roca is awesomness! We also like to put crushed pecans/almonds/whathaveyou on top.

    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete