Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My least favorite Christmas songs

 
image
I was listening to the radio the in the car and a Christmas song that I really don’t like came on. So I started thinking of all the Christmas songs I don't like. Which made me feel a bit like a scrooge. Here they are in no particular order.

1. Little Drummer Boy- It is annoying. Where was a drummer boy in the Christmas story? And why was a little boy out at night by himself to be able to play for baby Jesus? I'm not sure why this song bugs so much but I always change the radio station when I hear it.

2. Santa Baby- This song is completely opposite of what Christmas is supposed to be about. Christmas is about love and giving. Santa Baby is all about selfishness and flirting with Santa. And you shouldn't be flirting with Santa, he is a married man.

3. That Christmas shoe song- I don't even know what the name of the song actually is but you know the one I am talking about. It was ok the first time I heard it. It has a good message, you can feel the love the little boy has for his mom. But really it is the most depressing Christmas song ever. A little boy trying to buy some shoes for his mom, who is going to die, so she can look nice when she goes to heaven. What could be more depressing than that? The song is a tear jerker and I don't like tear jerkers. I know that sad things happen even around holidays and I do my best to help people who have a difficult time during the holiday season, but I don't want to hear sad stories in Christmas songs.

4. Grandma got ran over by a reindeer- I know this song is supposed to be funny. But really, a song about a grandma getting killed by Santa's reindeer? It is morbid.

That's it. I guess if I can only think of four Christmas songs I really don't like then I must not be a Scrooge after all. Coming soon, my favorite Christmas songs. I have a feeling it will be a much more difficult list to compile.

 What are your least favorite Christmas songs?

4 comments:

  1. You already know mine: Silent Night. I don't hate the song so much as the people who have so little imagination that they play it or sing it at the end of EVERY Christmas program (the MOTAB at the Christmas devotional? Totally called that).

    I also don't like the "Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart" song. It's a break-up song and doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think #2 is the only one I'd change the radio station on.

    They don't play #3 as much anymore so it's not so bad.

    #4's got a fun beat so and I think of it more of like an funny old back-country tall tale.

    #1 makes me think of my Dad who liked to make fun of the background singers of a popular version - 'prunes, prunes, prunes'. Here's a link to the history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Drummer_Boy. Apparently he wasn't just out wandering but was traveling with the 3 wise men. Anyhow, I think it's popular because it talks about Jesus, has a good message, and gives kids an excuse to play with drums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart" - forgot about that one. That's a dial changer too.

    We thought of Darcy when we watched the Christmas Devotional and saw that it ended with Silent Night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the first two, but honestly don't mind 3 and 4.

    I also don't understand why "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music is a Christmas song.

    ReplyDelete