Monday, December 5, 2011

Laundry soap

I haven’t bought laundry soap since 2006. When we got our water softener they gave us a bunch of different soaps that were suppose to work well with soft water. And because of a happy mistake we got twice as much laundry soap as we were supposed to so I didn’t run out of it until this summer.

Once you have gone that long with out having to buy laundry soap it is hard to go back. Fortunately my mom had a homemade laundry soap recipe she wanted to try out so we made some this summer. It is really easy to make and keeps our clothes clean.

With the help of Michael I figured out that you can make enough laundry soap for 300 loads for $10 or less (usually less) depending on the price of the ingredients. And you will have leftovers of some ingredients.

I have made twice now on my own. Once to show my sister-in-laws how and once because I ran out of the small batch I made with my mom.

I use the first recipe from this site.

1 quart Water (boiling)
2 cups Bar soap (grated) (1 bar Fels-Naptha)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

2 gallons warm water

1 bucket (big enough to fit 2 gallons)

100_1132

Also you can add an essential oil of your liking if you like scented laundry soap.

100_1133

Use your cheese grader to shred your Fels-Naptha. It looks like shredded cheese, but don’t be tempted to eat it. Parker can tell you it doesn’t taste good.

100_1134

Shredded Fels-Naptha is what clean smells like.

100_1137

Dissolve the Fels-Naptha in the boiling water. Once the water boils put it on low.  . It will take longer to dissolve but prevents a bunch of froth from forming.  The froth isn’t bad I just like it better with out it. If you want to add an essential oil add it at this point.

Pour 2 gallons warm water into your bucket and mix in your Borax and Washing soda. Stir that until it is dissolved. Add your water and Fels-Naptha mixture and ta da! your done.

100_1139

The soap will gel up so don’t worry if it is really thick. Use 1/4 cup for a regular sized load.

Bonus- it’s a very earth friendly recipe for those of you who are into being green.

No comments:

Post a Comment