Monday, November 7, 2011

Masking tape

As I was using some masking tape this morning I was struck by the thought of how useful it is.  Back in August I was shopping for school supplies. One of the things on Stephen's list was masking tape. So I got him a roll and figured since I didn't have any at the house I would buy a roll to keep. It had been several years since there was any masking tape in the house and I think I had forgotten how awesome it is. It has come in handy many times since I bought it.

If I could only pick one type of tape to use for the rest of my life I would choose duck tape. But if I could pick two the second would definitely be masking tape.

There are three main qualities that masking tape has that make it so fabulous. You can easily tear off a piece, it is easy to peel off of things and it doesn’t leave a residue behind. So not only can you quickly use it to attach a pirate hat to a child's head you can remove it with out much difficulty.

The following is a list I have created of possible uses for masking tape.

1. Tapping newspaper to the table to use as a drop cloth for painting.

2. Taping paper strips to a chalk board.

3. Taping artwork to a wall.

4. Taping pirate hats to heads.

5. Taping flyers to doors.

6. Wrapping presents.

7. Writing names on the tape and using them as labels.

8. Various art projects.

9. Making a pass-the-parcel.

10. To stop paint from filling the groove at the top of the can cover the rim with masking tape. 

11. Making a straight line on paper.

12. Dividing a room into two spaces.

13. Making a cat crawl.

14. Keeping a diaper on a one year old.

15. Homemade wallets.

16. Turning a piece of paper into a telescope.

17. Put beads on it to prevent them from rolling.

18. Wear a roll of it as a bracelet or if you have a small head a hat.

19. Marking off areas you want to paint.

20. Substitute lint remover.

21. Taping someone’s mouth shut.

22. To use a vacuum bag twice cut the bag open on the back, empty it and tape it closed with masking tape.

23. Matting artwork.

24. Taping things to windows.

25. Giving your forehead a surprised look.

Masking tape. Isn’t it wonderful. Now go and use some masking tape today.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if you could a one-year old in a diaper without a serious amount of tape - I'm sure they'd still find a ways to squirm out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned it because I know several people who had to tape diapers on because the kid kept taking them off.
    -Katie-Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't notice that one before. What does that mean exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's one my oldest daughter showed me one day when in charge of her younger sisters and brother. Put a strip of it between two objects and let kids throw straws at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to try that. I am always looking for new ways to entertain kids.
    -Katie-Beth

    ReplyDelete