Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why this blog will never be a mommy blog

You know how some moms start writing blogs and they get a bunch of people to start following their blog and after a while they actually make money by writing about how there toddler took off their diaper and smeared you-know-what all over the wall?

I have to come to the conclusion that this will never be my blog.  Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy reading a funny well written mommy blog, sometimes reading about the crazy things other moms have to put up with helps me appreciate my kids more, or not feel as frustrated when they do something crazy.  There are several mom blogs I read just because they are so hilarious, not because I actually know the mom. 

But my blog will never be a successful,  funny mom blog. I just can’t convince myself that people really want to hear all the details of potty training a kid or the embarrassing thing they said to a stranger. I don’t have a desire to write about my failures in motherhood. I like swapping crazy kid stories with my family and friends. But I don’t want to put it out there for the whole blog reading world to read about, comment on and criticize. I like to get other peoples take on things and to share and receive advice, but I want the advice to be from someone’s whose opinion I value and not some stranger in Ohio who knows a sure fire way to potty train a kid in a week.

It’s nice to be able to share my frustrating parenting moments with people who knowledge of me isn’t based only on the stories of my kids shenanigans that are funny enough to gain a following of readers. People who will be able to laugh when I tell them about the ridiculous fit my daughter threw because I wouldn’t carry her towel for her when we left the water park without thinking that I can’t control my kids, because they also see me the other 99% (ok maybe 90%) of the time when my kids are normal well behaved children.

I suppose I shouldn’t care if some random stranger thinks I am a horrible mom because the only time one of my sons gets veggies is when it is mixed into a fruity drink and  I’m sure there is probably somebody out there who would be happy to give me some advice on how I could change that. But the truth is that I do care what people think and I don’t want to hear what a stranger who has never met my kid thinks would be best. I am hard enough on myself when it comes to parenting and I don’t want to leave myself open to any extra advice or criticism by writing about my struggles as a mom where anyone can read them and comment on them.

So I hope my readers are not disappointed by a lack of  posts about motherhood because it is never going to happen on this blog. I hope you are all fine with occasional posts about me and whatever I happen to feel like sharing. If you want to hear about the crazy things my kids have done, or the funniest conversation about poop with a three year old you have ever heard, then next time you see me ask. I love talking with people who know me and care about me and are actually interested in my stories. We can swap stories, share cool tips that have worked for us and laugh about the ridiculous things that happen while trying to raise a kid.

Meanwhile I am glad that there are moms out there who know how to write well and enjoy documenting the ups and downs of parenting. Then I can keep reading my favorite mommy blogs without writing one of my own.

I am curious what other people think about mommy blogs. I am the only person who feels this way? Do you love them, hate them or write one yourself? Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a Mommy-blog -- I wonder if they make Daddy-blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mommy blogs are fun. I can totally see your point though about strangers judging you on what you write, because they don't know anything about you. I don't know if I could put myself out there like that, although I could see myself maybe telling a cute story about my kid. I would never want someone to think I was a terrible parent, and for that reason, I don't think I could Mommy blog. But for those who do, they're fun to read.

    ReplyDelete